Gas Safety Checks & Certificate CP12

Under UK law, landlords have a legal responsibility to tenants when it comes to gas safety. This means that all gas appliances and central heating systems must be fully inspected and maintained for safety. This applies to a wide variety of accommodation, including residential premises provided for rent, residential rooms let and rented holiday accommodation including B&Bs, hotels, chalets, cottages and caravans.

As professional central heating engineers, we can provide all the gas safety checks and documentation you will need to ensure you and your property remains compliant with the law.

gas safety certificate checks Preston

What landlord responsibilities do I have for gas safety?

If you let a property equipped with a gas appliance or central heating system you have three main responsibilities:
• Maintenance – All appliances, flues and gas pipework must be maintained in a safe condition. Gas appliances should be regularly serviced in line with the manufacturer’s guidelines, but if instructions aren’t available, then the Gas Safe Register recommend annual servicing, unless advised otherwise by a Gas Safe registered engineer.
• Gas safety checks – an annual gas safety check must be carried out on every gas appliance and flue. A gas safety check will make sure gas fittings and appliances are safe to use.
• Record – a record of the annual gas safety check must be given to the tenant within 28 days of the check being undertaken or to new tenants before they move in. Landlords must keep copies of the gas safety record for two years.

It is also the responsibility of the landlord to ensure that all maintenance and checks are carried out by a Gas Safe registered engineer. If a tenant has their own gas appliance that has not been provided by the landlord, then it’s the landlord’s responsibility to maintain and check the pipework but not the appliance itself. Tenants must also be aware of where to turn the gas off in the property in the event of an emergency.

Get your Gas Safety Checks & Certificate CP12 with BP Plumbing & Heating

  • Get professional safety advice and Landlord Gas Safety Check and Certificate so you can rent out your property legally.
  • Our Gas Safe Registered engineer will assess your appliance(s) to help ensure you remain compliant with current legislation.
  • Gas Safety Certificate CP12 for your records.
  • Recommendations if required for repairs to be carried out.
  • We can fit in the assessment at a time that suits you or your tenant.
  • Check appliances for gas tightness.
  • Check standing & working pressures.
  • Check gas burner pressure rate against manufacturer’s guidelines.
  • Check all necessary ventilation is satisfactory. 
  • Test flue flow to ensure removal of products of combustion.
  • Check satisfactory operation of all the flame failure devices.
  • Check stability and brackets.
  • Investigate any evidence on unsafe operation and provide recommendations for resolution.